Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Guest List Woes

Note: I modified my blog to accommodate wedding planning, etc. Hopefully anyone that reads this will find it interesting. (I also didn't want to type out all my wedding ideas/issues on facebook/twitter.) :)

So, today I started to attempt a guest list. I had no idea the effort it would take to compile this thing. I have NO idea who to invite and who not to invite to my wedding. I read on www.theknot.com that you should make guidelines to go on, so I think what I'm going to do is say if I haven't talked to someone in the last two-ish years then no invite (expect family). It's not that I want to leave anyone out, it's that each guest costs money, and I only want people there that have really been apart of Philip and I's relationship.

I think that this will be one of the hardest tasks, however, since we still have almost 18 months until the big day, hopefully we'll be able to take this slow. My number one wedding rule is no stress! ha! (we'll see how that goes.)

If anyone that reads this has any guest list advice or ideas, I'm open to anything. Please fill me in. Also, chances are if you are cool enough to read my blog you will probably be getting a wedding invite. So go ahead and send me your address while I'm doing this guest list thing!

Much, much more to come,
The bride to be. :)

3 comments:

  1. My boyfriend and I are getting married October 2 of this year. It's a secret for now, but I figure I could tell you on your wedding blog :) It's only a secret until we find the perfect ring- and then the whole world(ish) will know. Dude! Guest list shmest list. I wouldn't even think about it until 6 months until the wedding, because who KNOWS who will or won't be in your life in a year! My biggest concern right now is a venue... Eric desperately wants to get married outside, but it's hard to find a decently priced outside venue that will be pretty enough in October...

    ps...I love you... I am so happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't stress too much. Make a masters list and then make a budget. This will determine how many people you can invite. Also once you have a reception venue you can ask how much the room can hold in its capacity. Or the price of catering (if you chose to do it) will also determine who you invite. I know that I have eliminated a lot of people just for that reason. My budget can only accommodate 150 people. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggestion is start with the wedding party, family and close friends and then work your way out. Also talk to both sets of parents and get a list from them...they are going to think of people that you probably would have never thought of, but would hate to leave out. Then when you get closer and get your budget set you can decide how many people you can afford and then start cutting people out. Let both sets of parent look over the list before it is finalized to make sure that no one was left out.

    Also keep in mind that if you are sending out save the dates and invites you can expect about 75% of the people invited to show. If you are just sending out invites that will lower the number to about 60%.

    Best of Luck with the planning and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete